Saturday, September 19

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri




Wishing all Muslims in the whole world a happy Eid al-Fit'r especially to all Malaysians. 
Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Maaf Zahir Batin.


Being far away from Malaysia for Raya or any other big festive occasion really strikes me with self pity. How is it that I am attending classes on a National Holiday??? While everyone else is enjoying the holidays back at home, I am here doing what everyone else are NOT SUPPOSED TO DO. Sigh.


This however, taught me a valuable lesson - which I have, for countless times already, learnt through I wade across the waters of life.


NEVER TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED.


Yes, never take things for granted - no matter how big, nor how small the thing maybe. Once you are not able to experience it any more, you will start to think about how good it felt when it was still there. Same thing goes for Hari Raya. It used to be just "another holiday" back in Malaysia, but since living here in Europe, I kind of miss all the good times.


Top 5 things I like about Hari Raya:


1. You get at least 2 days of holidays.
A good time to get the family to gather together. I don't get much time with my family because everyone is busy with their work and studies. Now, come to think of it - I kind of regret the fact that I didn't make much effort to spend time with my family whenever opportunity arises. 


2. You can go and eat free food at people's open houses.
Whenever I go out beraya, I will usually target the houses which serve lemang and beef rendang with lots and lots of kuih raya. How do I do that? I'd call in earlier and asked about the menu offered! LOL.


3. I get to see people get dressed up (finally) in fashion-disaster-stricken Malaysia.
Malaysia, in my opinion is one of a country stricken with the fashion disaster syndrome. I don't think the population in making a commendable effort in trying to look good and appealing. So during festivities, this condition usually self-alleviates as a small percentage of the nation dresses up to celebrate the big day.


4. I get to wear my baju melayu without looking ridiculous - it's my favourite national costume!
I have a myriad of national costumes in my wardrobe - but my definite favourite is the baju melayu cekak musang. It is very light and comfortable, elegant if worn with a matching samping songket, and no matter how fugly a guy is - he will get extra points for wearing it!


5. I get duit raya!
Besides getting free food from the open houses which I went to - I also got some pocket money! Like the hong bao, it is also presented in small paper packs, but it is green in color. Who cares about the packaging anyway - I'm more concerned with the contents of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment